Is Masturbation Helping Me Stay Pure?
About This Episode
Today’s episode of the Panic Button Podcast features a question we receive from folks often:
“Is there any way that masturbation helps you stay pure?”
I mean, if by “staying pure” you mean not having sex or getting an STD then… sure, it can “help.” I’ve met a lot of married people who say that they wouldn’t have made it to the altar as virgins if it weren’t for masturbation.
I found that the church often has a weird idea about what “pure” means, and it often translates to: “if you’re having sex, then just get married and then you won’t have to feel bad about it anymore.” Unfortunately, a lot of people who don’t want to have sex before marriage end up marrying the wrong person… just to have sex.
Don’t get married just to have sex.
At the same time, there are plenty of people who take the opposite approach, masturbating their way to the wedding aisle.
I’m not sure that’s any better.
In fact, I’d say that you might be in worse shape when it comes to marriage, and actually engaging in a relationship.
Now… do not hear me wrong, or put words in my mouth that I’m not saying. If you’re reading this thinking, “Craig just said that masturbation is worse than having premarital sex…!”
No, I’m absolutely not saying that.
But I am saying that masturbation hasn’t necessarily kept you “pure” just because you haven’t engaged in actual sex with someone prior to your wedding night. More than likely, it’s been coupled with the hard drive of porn in your mind that you’re using every time you masturbate.
You won’t stop masturbating if you develop a habit of it. I think that’s the hardest part of this question. Masturbation is easy. It’s by yourself. It engages no one, and it demands nothing of you.
So yes, masturbation could possibly prevent you from having sex, but it’s sure as hell not keeping you pure. And it’s going to be a very hard habit to break.
Our Favorite Quotes From This Podcast Episode
- Don’t get married just to have sex.
- If you masturbate your way to the wedding aisle, I would say that you might be in worse shape than if you’d have had premarital sex. You didn’t get anyone pregnant. You didn’t get an STD. But you’ve habituated yourself to the ease of masturbation, and it is nothing like sex with a real partner who has needs, feelings, and emotions that you’re not used to meeting alone.
- I don’t think masturbation is keeping you pure, but could it save you from having sex? Sure. In the end, though, is that a “Wow!?”
- People live beneath the false notion that marriage solves everything, but you won’t stop masturbating if you’ve turned it into a habit.
- Masturbation might prevent you from having sex, but it’s sure as hell not keeping you pure. And I think it’s going to be a very hard habit to break.